TSI is learning about the impact we are having on our members. Delaying additional pregnancy while a teen, completing high school, and developing social and emotional assets are key outcomes we strive for. In the 2012-13 program year, we made an impact in all of these key areas that we know lead to successful outcomes for our members and their children.
There was a 44% increase in birth control use among teen mothers enrolled in Teen Success during 2012-13. Preventing additional pregnancies allows Teen Success members to focus on their first child and their own achievement.
"Most of our members were not using any form of birth control when they started the program. Now, by the end of they year, almost all of our members are using birth control."
-Sarahi Ovalle from our partner organization Nuevo Comienzo in Orosi
84% of our members are staying in high school and are on track to graduate. Teen Success is working closely with the other 16% to reengage them in school. Nationally, only 51% of teen mothers graduate from high school.
In focus groups conducted with our members:
* 98% feel more able to reach their potential
* 95% feel supported in ways they are not getting anywhere else
* 87% are better able to identify and achieve education and career goals
...when you help a teen mom you are changing not just one life, you are changing two.
We hope you will join us and meet the inspirational teen mothers we work with.